Monday 31 August 2009

Flip The Page Review: Fantastic Four #570


Okay I'mma crack this sonuva bitch out quick, I've got a lot more to do this evening (including a summary of general net views on this marvel/disney dealio).

I am not a fan of Reed Richards. The guy's a bloated brain, full of so much shit that whatever gold may shine in there is impossible to see... Because of the shit.

HOWEVER! Dark Reign: Fantastic Four finally made me take note about how interesting it can be to see someone so self-assured try and achieve so much. I mean the man now intends to 'solve everything' for crying out loud! That's so over the top that even someone as hateful as me has to stop and take notice.

And of course from there we come to this, the 570th issue of Fantastic Four, with Jonathan Hickman continuing his crazy storyline for all to see.

Is it any good? Will I care about Reed? LET'S FIND OUT!

A JUMP IS IN FRONT OF YOU. DO YOU ENTER?



Apparently the Fantastic Four have been handled by some big names recently with some story I don't care about, so there's not much to recap here or to say about the comic other than that I love Ben Grimm and the old 90s cartoon where Reed was sometimes black and sometimes hispanic. So let's jump straight onto the writing shall we?

Jonathan Hickman is a great up and comer these days, from his brilliant Secret Warriors series to Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to.... um... Nightly News (I haven't read that one) and this is the step up to the pantheon of the future greats that he's needed. The writing is exactly how I remember the Fantastic Four and doesn't miss a note from Reed's ego to Valeria's creepiness (intentional?). I honestly couldn't be more pleased with the writing aspect of this comic.

The ART on the other hand... I'm a bit weird with. Not to downplay how amazing some of these moments from Dale Eaglesham are but WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH REED? MR. FANTASTIC HAS BUFFED OUT AND GOT HIM SOME BEARD! THIS IS REALLY PECULIAR! Not bad, just fucking WEIRD. But then in a comic where there's a Reed made of stone and an Alan Moore Reed you can't expect the norm. Outside of that minor gripe it's stellar through and through.

As such, let's talk flippin' moments!


1. HOLY CRAP REED HAD A CHILDHOOD?! AND HE WASN'T A JERK?!

This is a great opener and actually caught me unawares. I never considered that Reed had ever actually been a child, let alone one that isn't a smug dick. Pretty and interesting scene too.


2. FANTASTIC FOUR
"Ya know, people might forget what the Fantastic Four can do, so I'll just have a one page spread where they're all using their powers! I'm a GENIUS!" Seriously though this looks awesome.


3. Reed's a jerk pt. 1
"Oh hey I'll just fuck off without telling my family and loved ones where I'm going in the middle of a dangerous situation, that's not douchey at all!"

... I hate you so much Reed, I really do.


4. Creepy Child
Valeria scares the shit out of me. This isn't really a moment, I just wanted you all to know that if she kills EVERYONE in the Marvel U while smiling innocently I FUCKING CALLED IT!


5. Johnny + Grimm RULE!
Seriously funny moment that captures both characters interactions pretty well. How's it a flippin' moment? A) Johnny's face in the bottom right. B) It turns out all the prizes were the same. Awesome.


6. Reed is a JERK pt. 2

"I would go to bed with you my attractive blonde wife who I've lost once before, but I can't get this moustachioed man out of my head, I need to be alone in my lab."


7. THE ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE

REED! REED! REED EVERYWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE! THE HORROR! THE HORROR!


8. And on your right....
Far right. Alan Moore Reed Richards. Except balder. End of.


And that's the issue in moments. What do I think of it? It's a good follow-on to an even better mini and I'll be sure to check it out again. But Reed is still a jerk. A BIG STRETCHY JERK!

Rating:

JERK! *ahem* READ IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment