Wednesday 2 September 2009

Top Ten Writers #7: Ed Brubaker

Wow, so THAT last post was a big 'un eh? With that out of the way let's jump into the safe behind-a-jump glory that is the Top Ten Writers.
This writer could have gotten a free pass into this Top Ten simply because he's handled Uncanny X-Men in a way that pleases me, even going as far as to write one of the best X-men limited series EVER, X-Men: Deadly Genesis. But that wouldn't be fair on all the other writers he's ahead of now would it?

As such it's pretty lucky he's also churned out such greats as Catwoman, Books of Doom (a personal favourite of mine), Captain America, Criminal, Incognito, Daredevil and co-writing Immortal Iron Fist back when it was good.

Yes by now you probably know who I'm on about (and if you don't from that you can read the title of the flippin' post). I'm talking about


#7: Ed Brubaker


FIND OUT YOU HAD A THIRD BROTHER WHO'S TURNED EVIL BECAUSE OF YOUR PROFESSOR AFTER THE JUMP! (man I'm really stretching with that one)


Ed Brubaker can MIND CRUSH you!

As repetitive as it seems to be getting, all I see when I look up stuff about these writers is how awards worthy they are. Brubaker's no exception winning something like two Eisners and two Harveys and a few other awards I don't know about. Still awards are no indication of genius, just take a look at my eternal enemy Jeph Loeb with his multitude of undeserved awards.

Daredevil #500: A brilliant finale to Brubaker's run.

Thankfully in this case Brubaker has earned every single one. His writing seems to come alive as you read it, to the point where any art becomes secondary to painting the picture. You feel the emotions of the characters, the voices (though that might be insanity), everything just flows out to you. That might all sound a bit too whimsical, but when you have writers who can't write character voices (like Bendis) you cherish that rare occasion that characters sound CORRECT.

Captain America Reborn: One of the worst covers ever but actually a good comic!

Outside of that he's also written some of the best material ever seen. Look at any of those series I've mentioned here. Each one of those is a must read, with quality up the arse. Brubaker's yet to hit a low note and I don't imagine that'll change soon... Unless Captain America: Reborn goes tits up.

So yeah trust me, Top Ten material. Now I must sleep.


Okay this one is short but I'm all burnt out today. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment