Sunday 5 July 2009

Quick-Fire Reviews #3: Week of 1st July


Shut up I know. And about the stupid gap.


HIT THE JUMP FOR MORE!


Batman & Robin #2 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

In Short: Fittingly the issue itself once again feels short. This is like issue 1 part 2. I love Grant Morrison, he's the reason I first read X-Men (New X-Men, three issues from the Cassandra Nova stuff) and as such I should love anything he does. This though... It feels like the issues are cut short every time. No sense that it's ended on a cliffhanger as much as a random point. Other than that a great issue.
In Shorter: Short. Read It Anyway



Agents of Atlas #7 by Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman

In Short: I love this comic. The art is pretty, the recap pages continue to be the best in the business and underwater incest is always a hilarious plot point... WAIT WHAT?! The back-up story is brilliant too, as always with comics these days... MOST comics these days.
In Shorter: UNDERWATER WINCEST MAKES 4 MUST BUY



Cable #16 by Duane Swiercztyinfanfiorgki and Paul Gulacy

In Short: I don't like you Duane. You and your blatant disregard for established Cable canon. So fuck you. Fuck you and your forgetting/ignoring that Cable's arm isn't a virus anymore. Paul Gulacy... I like you. I enjoyed Penance: Relentless and can cope with your big heads and weird aging. I forgive both things because it's still pretty and because you're better suited to this than Olivetti was. So I come in after Messiah War and am instantly conflicted. One overall opinion comes to mind though:
In Shorter: Is Shit. Don't Buy.



Captain America REBORN #1 by Ed Brubaker, Bryan Hitch and Butch Guice

In Short: Oh I don't care anymore. So Steve Rogers is coming back. Whatever. MAKE IT EXCITING! Don't just faff about continuing to make me hate black widow post-mighty. Don't overcomplicate things or drag this out. Just bring him back and make it so he's crippled. That'll do. Pretty though.
In Shorter: Eh I Don't Care. Read It?



Green Lantern Corps #38 by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason

In Short: I hate covers with speech bubbles. I like the Green Lantern Corps. I'm not a regular reader. This issue does not like me. It actively HATES non-regulars. It doesn't even go "Oh, hey Max, here's what you NEED to know about who's who or what the fuck is going on", it just goes " HEY MAX FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" and I hate it for it. But I DO like Natu. Oh and guy Gardner. So it balances out. The plot... Is captivating as the Corps is basically fucking itself in the eye leading nicely into BLACKEST NIGHT, an event I care too much about.
In Shorter: Newbies Beware! This Is NOT For You! For Everyone Else... Yeah Buy It.



Marvel Divas #1 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Tonci Zonjic

In Short: Crazy idea that everyone derided but... I LOVE IT! Even the trashy soap ending to close out the issue. It's pretty, witty, clever and bright. This is simple comics at its best. As I laid out with Power Girl, a good comic is one that knows how to just be fun. This is that and more... Okay it's not Power Girl. But it is almost as good. Wait, this all sounds like I objectify women, especially as the rating I gave Power Girl involved boobs... I best be sophisticated.
In Shorter: .... Buy It... Because..... BOOBS? Ah Crap... Just Buy It.



Barack the Barbarian #1 by WAIT WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?

In Short: Yeah I don't know either. Obamania gone mad? Or a pretty comic with fun moments? How about both with the largest hard-on for Obama imaginable? There's not much more I can say. It had no substance. Just entertainment value on a few levels.
In Shorter: SHORTER?! Check It?



Greek Street #1 by Peter Milligan and Davide Gianfelice

In Short: This disturbs me. Far more than I wish to be disturbed. Bad incest. Not funny incest... Scary. Then death. Horror... I just want to go home. I have nothing more to say on this.
In Shorter: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH NO!



Invincible Iron Man #15 by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larocca

In Short: Redemption is still the name of the game for Stark and if anyone could do it it was Matt Fraction. He has and Larocca has made it pretty. HOWEVER! I know nothing of Madame Masque so she just seems like a faceless goon with a hard-on for Stark. That and Maria Hill is my highlight for being completely and utterly INSANE. I'm in love with that fictional woman I swears it (Note: I am not). This all leads to a good cliffhanger, preceded by me laughing my ass off that Stark has forgotten who Happy is. GO RETARD STARK!
In Shorter: Must Read!



Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth #1 by who cares

In Short: Not funny. Not pretty. Not worth writing much about.
In Shorter: No.


These reviews were longer and more entertaining in note form. However I'm halfway through a redesign on this section so I'm phoning it in. If nothing makes sense... Comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment